Why should I (have to) rent a bike instead of take mine with me?
Flying with your bike can be a nerve-wracking experience, particularly if the bike is new and/or you’ve spent a lot of money on it. Will the bike make it to your destination in one piece?
There are six simple reasons because it is better to rent a bike for “short” periods:
• Loading a bicycle on a plane can be very expensive, up to 200,00$, don’t forget to estimate also the
local flight fee (if your flight contemplate a stopover).
• Sometimes luggage get lost from the airline companies, just think about a world without your bike.
• Sometimes the bikes can be damaged by the baggage handlers, they frequently don’t pay enough attention loading them. Think about the difficulty once you will arrive when you will have to fix your bike, spend other monies and waste your holiday time stressing out.
Renting a bike can avoid this risk.
• To prevent damages you would have to put the bike into a specific suitcase;
Good bike cases can cost between 300,00$ and 700,00$, reasonable to buy if you usually travel with your bike with you.
Do not look at soft economic bags (just an advice) because they can be easily damaged, and so the bikes.
• If you have to pass a custom line as well as the baggage check, you can waste time at the airport and the same thing applied also to the baggage check-in at the departures.
• You would have to calculate other time to disassemble the bike and to set it once you will arrive.
Resuming these 6 points, renting a bike you: don’t waste time, don’t take risks, be more flexible, save some monies.
When it can be better to take my bike with me on a plane?
There are two basic reasons to board our bike with us on a plane:
• I cannot do it without my bike. It’s the most frequent reason why people decide travel with their own bikes.
• My stay will be long, renting a bike for a long time can be expansive and not convenient.
The best thing to do is to calculate the costs for both bike rental and bike transport, including the purchase of a suitable bag for bike boarding if you don’t have one;
Then, check the difference between the rental costs and the boarding costs and just decide what’s best option for you.
Here you can find some tips to estimate the quote to board your bike on a plane.
One-way bike boarding prices (approximately) for the main companies: